by Charlotte Kelly and Alan Rowe Kelly
Wharton traces the vivid history of New Jersey's hub industry during the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Known as Port Oram until 1901, the town was the site of the richest mineral deposits in the state and of the famed Picatinny Arsenal, still active today. The Morris Canal and northern New Jersey railways were built specifically to accommodate the area's mining and iron-manufacturing industries. Wharton attracted immigrant workers who settled and stayed in the community alongside the original families, many of whose descendants still reside here.
Charlotte Kelly is the President of the Historical Society. She and Alan Rowe Kelly, a filmmaker, have compiled nearly two hundred images from the historical society and private collections for Wharton, a tribute to their favorite town.
Stop in the library to take a look at this reference book.